pinterest

Friday 2 January 2015

Resolutions for travel in 2015

Here are my travel resolutions or goals for 2015.  As with any resolutions or goals not all will likely be achieved.  Stay tuned to this blog to see how I do.

I would like to further my ability to speak Italian.  I have been learning Italian especially during my travels in Italy.  It is a beautiful language.  I am able to carry on basic conversations in Italian with another person, get the general gist of group conversations and the news on TV.  Being part of a conversation with a number of people is still a challenge.

Living in Canada, I have learned that winter is a part of our life, but it would be nice to get a break from it.  Florida is a possibility as it is accessible by car and plane.


However, for a more long term winter break Nicaragua has caught my attention, and I would like to see first-hand what it has to offer.  From my reading so far, it seems to be a Central American country on the verge of development.  It has a lot of history and culture to enjoy and learn about.  The cost of living and lifestyle both seem to be to my liking.





I always enjoy visiting Italy.  Most of my time has been spent in and around Rome and Naples.  I would love to add Florence, Tuscany and Venice to my list of places visited.  A culinary course in Tuscany, for even a day, would be amazing.

As a possible add-on to a trip to Italy, I would love to return to Spain.   There is so much to see and do.  Of particular interest, due to my interest in architecture, is the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao.





I would also like to visit the Netherlands, and if time permitted bike around parts of the country.





Closer to home, I would love to return to Newfoundland.  I was there a few years ago, but my time was limited and I only saw the area about 100 km radius of St. John's.  The Viking settlements in the north are of particular interest to me.





As well, while there, I would like to take the ferry to St. Pierre et Miquelon.  These are two islands that are a self-governing territory of France.  Only 25 miles off the coast of Newfoundland they provide the opportunity to experience 'la vie francaise' closer to home.

Two of my goals can be done together.  I would love to see the Northern Lights in the far north.  I have seen them many times around my summer home in Ontario.  As well, I would like to visit northern Canada.  For years the remoteness and beauty of the Yukon especially has intrigued me.  However, visiting The Northwest Territories could also meet this goal.



Something I am looking into is to use some of my areas of expertise in education and combine that in a travel setting.  I am not sure what it will look like.  I call it travelling and giving back.

As you can see, there are many possibilities for my travelling this year.  That does not include any opportunities that pop up along the way.  In 2014, my trip to the Turkey and the Middle East was planned and started within 8 weeks.  My list also does not preclude returning to many of the places I have already visited that I would like to return to.  So many places, so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment