pinterest

Sunday 22 March 2015

This time it's not the weather

After the crazy winter that many of us have experienced in eastern North America, one would not be surprised to experience travel difficulties due to weather.

As I was heading to Europe last week, I was monitoring the weather and things looked good. The most recent storm on the east coast moved through the Maritime Provinces of Canada before we left.

Little did I think that the problems I would encounter would be in Europe, and they were not weather-related. Often I am aware of labour difficulties in Europe, but this one missed my radar.

This last week Lufthansa pilots held rotating strikes. One day their job action affected international and cargo flights, and another day it affected short- and medium-haul flights. As would be expected this action created havoc.

We were travelling on Air Canada, and notified of a potential problem upon arrival in Frankfort; however, it was not certain as the pilots had not stated their intended action for the next day.

Upon arrival in Frankfurt, it was quickly apparent that we had a problem and my flight was cancelled. I stood in line for almost two hours to be told I was not in the correct line since we were travelling with a dog. I went to area of the airport where I was directed. The earliest option for getting to Rome was Sunday at 9:00 a.m. (two days later). The agent suggested I go to another area of the airport where they had access to all possible flights, not just Lufthansa's flights. Off I went. When I got there, I was curtly told that this area was for Business Class flyers, which I was not. It didn't matter to the woman on duty that I had been directed there by her colleagues. She gave me the feeling that she considered my presence to be 'tainting the air she was breathing'. Try as I might, and as I pleaded, I was not going to get service from this woman. What was really sad, was this section was not busy at all. I could have been served immediately. I returned to the area that I had previously left and told them what happened in Area A. They apologized and set me to another part of the airport that was much busier. Again, I waited for over an hour to get assistance. In this case the service was friendly and efficient. The agent did her best to help.

In the end we were able to get a flight the next day to Naples which was better for our plans. However, to get there it meant a flight to Munich with a connection there.

We were given a voucher for eating at the airport. Also, reservations were made at a hotel not too far away from the airport for the night. Dinner was covered by a voucher. Breakfast was included with the room.

Funny how our attention to weather for the last several months, caused us to forget other factors which can disrupt air travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment