pinterest

Monday 23 March 2015

Don't shop without it...


Of all the ridiculous rules you experience when travelling, I think one that I experienced the other day in Munich airport is among the most stupid.

We were waiting for a connecting flight having flown in from Frankfurt as part of our 'never-ending saga' due to the job action by Lufthansa pilots. By now we were over 36 hours in transit, for what should have been about 23 hours in total.

There were machines that distributed different kinds of coffee found frequently along the concourse, but in one word the coffee was 'brutal'. In fact I would question if it was coffee. When I went to the washroom, I decided to check out the shop further along the concourse for a soft drink. It was probably a total of 5 minutes walking from where we were waiting for our flight. 

I got my drink and waited my turn at the cashier. When I got there I was asked for my boarding pass. Huh! What? I had left my pass back with my friend with whom I was travelling. A boarding pass for soft drink? Really? How ridiculous!! I was totally exhausted at this point in the trip, and did not have the energy or the patience to get it and return. I left without my drink. I have been asked for my boarding pass when making a duty free purchase, but for a bottle of a soft drink. Since then I have been trying to rationalize this rule, but can't.

Is it a security measure? I was a long distance from security, and being in transit, I never had been near security at Munich airport. I did not know that soft drinks were a duty free product. Paying 2.90 euro for it doesn't seem like a duty free purchase.

So, if you want to purchase anything, at least in Munich airport make sure you have your boarding pass. To me this rule smacks is an ultimate waste of bureaucracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment