pinterest

Monday 12 January 2015

The Path Less Travelled...

Sometimes you can see and learn so much by checking out of the way places in cities or rural areas.

On my most recent visit to Paris, I was staying in the 18th arrondissement.  This was a new area for me.  I loved the vibrant mix of cultures so evident as you walked the area.  The street market set up 3 days a week was a visual array of fruit, vegetables, fish, seafood and meat.









One day I was out exploring and making my way to Sacre Coeur.  I decided to approach it directly  by the streets of the 'backside' where I was located.  It was interesting to take another approach, rather than the usual one off the Boulevard Rochechouart, to this icon of Paris.









I saw some beautiful Parisian street scenery.  I love the look of the buildings and the apartments.  Sometimes my imagination wandered thinking of what it would be like to live in Paris in one of the apartments I saw.






At one point, I heard the voices of children.  As a former educator I was caught up in the sounds of outdoor play.  Obviously I was near a school or nursery school.  I continued my walk and the voices became louder.  The school was in sight.


Just before I got to the door of the school, I saw a wall plaque.  I quickly scanned it and then stopped, stunned as I read it.  It was in memory of the Jewish children of that school who were deported to the Nazi camps during World War II.  Gulp!  As a human, as a parent, as an educator, I read that plaque over and over.  Yes, I had heard about this happening, but this was a real reminder of the sad events.


I would have missed this experience had I not taken the 'road less travelled'.  Yes, the usual tourist routes are great, and should not be overlooked, but little sojourns like this enrich your travels.




No comments:

Post a Comment