pinterest

Thursday 16 April 2015

User beware! - A Travel Tip for city centre-airport connections in Rome (and other European cities)

The purpose of this blog is to share tips, thoughts and news about travelling. On occasion, in an effort to provide accurate information, I will share some not-so-good news. The purpose is to help other travellers avoid an unpleasant experience that I have had.

To this end, I am sharing my experience while travelling in Italy a couple of weeks ago. While I related my experience to the company in question - Terravision.eu, I made one simple request for follow up. To this point, even after a reminder, they have not done this. The request was that they acknowledge the receipt of my email. How difficult is that? While it would have been advantageous for the company to investigate the matter further, I figured it would not likely happen.

I am fortunate to have been in Italy a few times. A few years ago in making transfers from the centre of Rome to the Fiumicino Airport, I became aware of Terravision. It provided good, prompt service at a reasonable cost. The buses used were comfortable and had wi-fi if you wanted to use it. I have shared this information in many different situations with others. Terravision also provides similar service in other European cities, and I used it in London.

I had travelled by train to Rome early in the morning to make my flight. When I arrived at Termini Station I had more than 4 hours before my flight left.

There was a long line at the Terravision office, which was okay. We can wait our turn. However, they have a policy of allowing people who have already printed tickets jump to the front of the line. If two agents are on duty, it can make sense, but with only one agent, it is ridiculous. Large groups, smaller groups, couples, threes, and singles jumped in front many times. I did not have access to a printer...no I don't carry one in my suitcase...so I was out of luck.

When I got to the counter, I made my request for Fiumicino. I was told the next bus would be at 11:10. That was two and a half hours, yet there were buses listed on the schedule on the counter. There was no way an 11:10 bus would get me there on time. I panicked. Good customer service would have posted a sign for all to see, rather than making customers wait in line wasting precious time. I had seen an customer further up the line become exasperated. I now knew why!

When I asked what I could do, I was told there are options. To this I asked what they were and the response I got was a shrug. This is customer service?

Yes, I did swear at the agent in front of the people in line, but rude staff like this person are responsible for bringing on whatever response they get from customers. 

It seems that Terravision has lost sight of the fact that their business is to serve people. Many of us are not local and we may not know what the options are. We are travelling and dealing with timelines, and maybe additional stress. We don't need to encounter a reply like I received from this woman.

Yes, her job could be stressful dealing with people in a panic, running late, people who cannot speak the language and all sorts of matters. However, that is the nature of the job. If it is too much then perhaps she should find some other type of work where a display of common decency and courteous service are not required. 

In the end I took the train. I highly recommend it.  I will be readily sharing this on various sites and in conversations with others.  Quick, efficient, however it does cost more. You can buy your ticket from a machine - not the personal touch, but definitely not rude and ignorant. I believe there is at least one other bus company; however, in my panic this morning I did not know where to find it.

Since sending my first email, on March 31, I have sent another one on April 10. To this point, April 16, I have not heard anything from Terravision. It would seem that the customer service attitude is more systemic, and not just unique to the agent in Roma Termini.

It would be nice to think that the matter would be dealt with so that future customers wouldn't have to experience what I and other customers did.  The least I expected was an acknowledgement of receipt of my email. I guess that was even too much to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment